Home Made Mayonnaise
- 2 eggs Free Roaming, Cage Free, Omega enriched.
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a blender, add the eggs, vinegar, and mustard and blend together well – leave the blender running and slowly slowly slowly drop by drop or very slow drizzle add the olive oil.
- BE PATIENT!! Do not dump all the oil in quickly and give up!!
- When the mixture begins to emulsify or thicken, only then can you be a bit faster about pouring in the olive oil but still take your time.
- Turn the blender off once all the olive oil is in and the mayonnaise is thickened to your desired consistency.
- Add the salt and cayenne pepper and mix well or blend again for another few seconds.
- Always wait until after your mayonnaise is thick before you add seasoning but here is when you can get creative. Add dried of fresh dill, fresh basil, or cilantro, garlic and onion, hot sauce, or even curry powder to make your own spreads, sauces and dips for just about everything.
- We use this for coleslaw and any other mayonnaise based dressing. For Coleslaw add more cayenne, 1/2 cup of the mayonnaise and thin with apple cider vinegar and 1TBS of Sugar in the Raw
TIP: Secret for better tasting mayo, use just plain ol’ Olive Oil, not virgin or extra virgin. If the bottle just says “Olive Oil” it will not have such a strong taste!
This Recipe should last about a week in the Fridge.