Zucchini Basil Soup
Yield 4 servings
adapted from epicurious
- 1 Package of Nitrate free Turkey Bacon
- 4 pounds zucchini, trimmed and cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 cups broth, divided
- 2/3 cup packed basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Cook bacon and chop
- Julienne skin (only) from half of zucchini with slicer; toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and drain in a sieve until wilted, at least 20 minutes. Coarsely chop remaining zucchini.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 3- to 4-quarts heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add 3 cups broth and simmer, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes. Purée soup with basil in blender.
- Bring remaining cup water to a boil in a small saucepan and blanch julienned zucchini 1 minute. Season soup with salt and pepper and add chopped bacon. Serve with julienned zucchini mounded on top.