One of the early symptoms of Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism is hair loss. This can be simple thinning of hair, a receding hair line or even bald patches. While thyroid replacement therapy often goes a long way in helping with hair loss due to hypothyroidism it does not deal with the entire situation. Apart from hypothyroidism, there are other factors that contribute significantly to hair loss.
Managing Inflammation When You Have A Thyroid Problem.
Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease and this factor alone is responsible for negatively affecting the cells in the hair follicles that act as receptors. The inflammatory response aggravates cytokines that disrupt the action of thyroid hormones on the cell receptors. It is simply not enough that your blood thyroid levels are normal – it is equally important to manage inflammation. Unless you can manage the autoimmune disease better, you will have limited results with hair loss.
I have created a Video series on the Thyroid and Inflammation titled “Inflammation-Your Thyroids Worst Enemy”-
Hormonal Imbalances In Women Can Result In Hair Loss
Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism patients who are female may also suffer from high testosterone levels. This again contributes to hair loss. Other symptoms of high testosterone levels include:
- Thinning hair,
- Inability to lose weight
- Excess facial hair
- Fertility problems
High testosterone levels have their own causes: if women lead a crazy lifestyle, have an unhealthy diet (rich in starches, refined carbohydrates, sugar-rich foods and sedentary lifestyle) and suffer from Hashimoto’s, they have higher insulin levels. This stimulates an enzyme in the ovaries, 1720lyase that increases the making of testosterone in the body.
Blood Circulation Problems
Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism causes poor circulation characterized by cold hands, feet and even the tip of the nose. Nail health may also be poor as you may suffer from brittle nails or nails that develop fungus infections. While all these aspects may be symptomatically treated, the actual cause of these problems is difficult to manage and poor circulation inevitably leads to hair loss.
What You Should Do
It is crucial to manage your Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism. You can do this by going to a holistic practitioner who can tailor an individualized program for your needs. You can also make sure that your:
- Thyroid levels are well-managed
- Your hormones are in balance (Estrogen-Progesterone-Testosterone)
- You eat a nutritionally rich diet will all the required minerals
- You take herbal supplements when required
- Get your hemoglobin and ferritin levels checked as low iron also contributes to hair loss
Our Personal Thyroid Recovery Program Customized to the Individual. NO Cookie Cutter Approaches.
The Personal Program Thyroid Recovery Program is a Natural Treatment for Low Thyroid function, Hypothyroidism, Hyper thyroidism and Hashimoto’s problems. Our office utilizes nutritional supplements, Dietary modifications, Hormone and endocrine support formula, and lifestyle guidance.
- To Schedule a Free 15 minute Phone Consult to see if this program is right for you. Fill out our online questionnaire.
- If you’re ready to get started and schedule an appointment take a moment and fill out our contact us form and in the comment box let us know what time of the day works best to contact you. One of our New Patient Coordinators will contact you with the next available new patient opening within 24-48 hours.
- Still have questions? Our Free 15 minute consult is a great place to start.
We’re here to listen and help you through this frustrating and confusing time.
Each person suffering with Thyroid symptoms problem has a different set of mechanisms or causes. Our office will customize a Thyroid Restoration Program based on your testing and tailored to your individual needs.