Vegetable Soup with Sweet Basil
- 2 small leeks, white part only
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 30 fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Cut the leeks, onions, celery, zucchini, green beans, and carrots into ¼ inch diced cubes.
- In a 6-qt stockpot, combine 3 Tbsp of the olive oil with the water. Add the vegetables and sauté over medium-low heat until all the water evaporates. Do not brown the vegetables.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cook at a gently boil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, basil, garlic, and remaining 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Pulse until pureed. If this equipment is unavailable mince these ingredients then add to soup.
- Stir the puree into the cooked soup. Do not let the soup return to a boil. Season, to taste, with sea salt, pepper. Serve the soup hot.
Recipe by Dr. Hagmeyer at https://www.drhagmeyer.com/vegetable-soup-with-sweet-basil/