Turkey and Cabbage Soup
Turkey Chili Base: 1 lb ground lean turkey 2 medium to large onions 4 jalapeño with seeds, whole 6-8 cloves garlic, minced (or however many you prefer) 1/4" chunk fresh ginger and horseradish minced 2 T. organic virgin coconut oil, for sauteeing 1 T. gluren free bbq sauce
Seasonings: garlic powder, to taste 2-3 T. dried rosemary dash cayenne pepper 1 t. chili powder 2 t. turmeric pinch paprika 1 t. sage
Cabbage Soup Base: 8-10 c. pure water 2 c. green cabbage 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- Add the coconut oil to your large stockpot and turn the heat to medium to melt the oil.
- Roughly chop the onion, mince the garlic and ginger/horseradish mixture, and slice or mince 1-2 of the jalapeños.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic-pepper mix to the hot pot and saute for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is very light brown and aromatic.
- Add the ground turkey and seasonings to the sauteed onion and garlic in the pot, and turn the heat to low.
- Break up the meat and mix in the seasonings . Cook on low to medium low for 5-7 minutes or until the meat is half done. You can cook it thoroughly, but that's unnecessary since the meat will simmer in the soup.
- Next, combine all the other ingredients in the pot. I find it easiest to add all my veggies first and then pour in the water so that I do not overfill the pot. Turn the heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour.