Did you know that many diseases including autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto’s and Thyroid disorders can be traced to a breakdown in the gastrointestinal tract? Researchers estimate 80-90 percent of your immune system resides in this area and are collectively known as the gut associated lymphoid tissue – your gut, and the GI tract has many important functions for your health including digestion, nutrient absorption, elimination, detoxification, hormone metabolism and energy production. 99% of the neurotransmitters in your body are actually created in the intestine (part of your GI tract), and every brain chemical known as a neurotransmitter is found there.
This means the GI tract, or gut, plays a very important role in achieving optimal thyroid health.
For proper thyroid function, 20% of the thyroid hormone in your body must be converted into its active form, which is done in the GI tract. In order for this T4 to T3 conversionto happen, healthy colonies of beneficial bacteria must be present in the GI tract. An imbalance in the bacteria ratio (of good vs. bad) in the GI tract (dysbiosis) can lead to low thyroid function.
This explains why so many patients with thyroid hormone imbalance also have digestive problems but are told they have normal thyroid blood chemistry panels.
When you have hypothyroidism it’s easy to get caught up in thyroid lab values and which thyroid replacement medications are the best. While these can be significant factors in improving how you feel, it’s important to remember gut health is foundational to thyroid health.
No amount of thyroid hormone Can Repair the Gut Lining or correct your leaky gut.
Sadly gastrointestinal problems such as acid reflux, heartburn, constipation and IBS conditions are so popular that they fuel a multi-billion-dollar industry of drugstore remedies. One thing is for certain—you’ll never experience optimum thyroid health by simply taking these thyroid hormones.
To correct and optimize function to the thyroid, you need to look beyond the “Am I taking enough thyroid hormones?” or “What’s the best thyroid replacement drug to be on?” mentality.
You need to look at the big picture. See my video below that explains in further detail why this is the wrong line of thinking.
Which is The Best Thyroid Drug For Low Thyroid or Hashimoto’s
When we accept a patient into our Thyroid Recovery program I often find myself reminding people that we are not simply treating your symptoms we are correcting all of the underlying problems that surround poor thyroid function. For the purpose of this article we are talking about Gastrointestinal function (Gut) health, but realize many of the systems in your body are contributing to your thyroid disorder.
As I have said earlier, when it comes to the thyroid disorders there are many causes.Leave out one critical component ad you fail to to get better.
Look at my illustration below to understand the complexity. It’s this “BIG PICTURE” approach that can finally give you the answers and as to why you have been suffering.
Testing for leaky gut, food sensitivities, autoimmunity against gut barrier integrity is critical. If this step is missed you can make yourself much sicker in the long run.
Most people who attempt to self-treat their condition will take certain supplements, detoxification programs or herbs. One problem with this approach and I have mentioned this in the past, is that just taking supplements and herbs alone is not enough.
A second problem with this approach is that the quality of the supplements or herbs taken is usually poor, filled with fillers, dyes, preservatives an binding agents that cause a greater immune response and more inflammation.
But for those of you who are taking high quality nutritional supplements and/or herbs, if you can’t digest them well, then you won’t receive the maximum benefit from them.
On the questionnaire I have new patients fill out, one of the things I ask for is what nutritional supplements and herbs they might be taking. And it’s quite common to see people taking many different supplements, and at the same time list numerous digestive symptoms which reveal that their digestive health is less than optimal, to say the least.
If you are reading this article and you or someone you love suffers from hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, or an autoimmune thyroid disorder (Hashimoto’s) and you are searching for a natural approach to thyroid disorders, then take the following steps and get on the right path.
Start eating real foods! eliminate refined sugars such as wine, pastries, bagels, cookies, pasta etc. These foods for people who suffer with thyroid disorders will prevent recovery.
Work with a Holistic Functional Medicine practitioner who will hold your hand and work with you on diet, nutrition, supplements and lifestyle factors. Remember you can’t do this on supplements alone you need someone who knows what they are doing.
Realize it takes time to correct leaky gut, inflammation, parasites, and all the other things we talked about. Depending on the individual it can three to 6 months and in real stubborn cases 12 months. Don’t get frustrated! if you haven’t notice much improvement with natural medicine realize it takes time to rebuild your body.
The “4 R’s” to Repair Gastrointestinal Dysfunction:
- Remove:Eliminate known food allergens such as gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, etc. Blood testing can pinpoint food reactions. Alcohol, caffeine and NSAIDS should be avoided as well. A stool analysis will diagnose infections that can be eliminated with natural medicines or medications.
- Repair: Supplements to repair the intestinal barrier are taken.
- Replace:Hydrochloric acid and pancreatic enzymes offer digestive support.
- Reinoculate: Probiotics that contain friendly bacteria such as lactobacillus and bifidobacter are taken to re inoculate proper bacterial colonies.
Our Personal Thyroid Treatment Program is a great place to start– The Personal Program Thyroid Recovery Program is a Natural Treatment for Thyroid Problems
Our office utilizes nutritional supplements, Dietary modifications, Nutritional Counseling, Advanced Testing, Hormone and endocrine support formula, Dietary assessment, and lifestyle guidance.
The Personal Program Thyroid Recovery Program is a Natural Treatment for Low Thyroid function, Hypothyroidism, Hyper thyroidism and Hashimoto’s problems. Our office utilizes nutritional supplements, Dietary modifications, Hormone and endocrine support formula, and lifestyle guidance.
1. To Schedule a Free 15 minute Phone Consult to see if this program is right for you Fill out our online questionnaire
2. If you’re ready to get started and schedule an appointment take a moment and fill out our contact us form and in the comment box let us know what time of the day works best to contact you. One of our New Patient Coordinators will contact you with the next available new patient opening within 24-48 hours. You can also call us at 630-718-0555
3. Still have questions? Our Free 15 minute personalized Phone consultis a great place to start.
We’re here to listen and help you through this frustrating and confusing time.
Each person suffering with Thyroid symptoms problem has a different set of mechanisms or causes. Our office will customize a Thyroid Restoration Program based on your testing and tailored to your individual needs.
Request our Free Guide By filling out your name and email to the right. You will Receive Our 20+ page guide FREE Within just a few short minutes.
Other Article about Natural Thyroid Treatments and Methods People Have Read.
- Women with PCOS Often Have Hidden Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroiditis
- Thyroid Hormones Wondering Which One Is The Best ? Dr Hagmeyer Explains
- Normal Thyroid Lab Tests? 6 Thyroid Patterns that Wont Show up on Standard Lab Testing
- Battling Fibromyalgia ? CFS Fibromyalgia and Thyroid. Dr Richard Hagmeyer Naperville Institute For Neuro Metabolic Solutions Naperville IL
- Natural Treatment Methods for Hashimotos Hypothyroidism|Dr Richard Hagmeyer
- Popular Thyroid Drug Leads to Bone Fractures. Naperville Thyroid Specialist