Updated March 2020
What are ADD, ADHD, and Autism Spectrum Disorders?
ADD and ADHD are Neurobehavioral Disorders caused from a disconnect in the part of the brain called the Frontal Lobe. ADD and ADHD fall into the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) classification and share many features in common.
Anxiety, Depression, Panic, Fear, Anger, Bi-Polar, Chronic Fatigue, Chemical Imbalances and Mood Disorders fit directly into the same Profile as attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), pervasive developmental disorder (PSS-NOS), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), Asperger’s syndrome, and Autism to name a few.
These should be viewed as points in a circle of frontal lobe disabilities in which those points share features in common, varying only in severity and location.
Signs, Symptoms of ADD, ADHD, and Autism Spectrum Disorders
Some children can begin to show signs of Autism, ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and other developmental disorders as early as a few months. Others can develop quite normally for years and then regress.
When asked, “When did you first start noticing some of the early signs of ADHD, Autism or other Neuro-developmental disorders” most parents often report that it was within the first two years.
Children with neurobehavioral/Developmental disorders will sometimes have symptoms throughout their lives, but it’s possible to improve quality of life and give them every opportunity for success the sooner you get started.
Some children have very noticeable issues, others can be mild. The common thread is differences in social skills, communication, and behavior compared with people who aren’t struggling.
A child with Autism, ADHD, ASD has a hard time interacting with others. Problems with social skills are some of the most common signs.
If your child struggles with ADHD, Autism, ADD, he or she might show some social symptoms by the time he’s 8 to 10 months old. These may include any of the following:
- Your child can’t respond to his or her name on the first birthday.
- Lack of interest or disconnect in Playing, sharing, or talking with other people.
- You child prefers to be alone.
- Your child avoids or even rejects being hugged or touched.
- Your child avoid Eye Contact.
- Your child is easily Frustrated or has “anger issues”
- You Child loses interest quickly
- Your child hits himself or hits other siblings.
- You child has poor motor skills
When it comes to kids on the spectrum, about 4 out of 10 kids don’t talk and about 3 out of 10 have language skill that regress within a few years.
Problems to be on the lookout for.
- Delayed speech and language skills
- Flat tone of voice or Robotic when speaking
- Repeating the same phrase over and over
- Non-Verbal communication- prefers to point, wave and use their hands rather than using speech.
- Inability to stay focused on a task, or answer questions
- Inability to recognizing sarcasm or joking
Learn more about non-drug relief for ADD and ADHD and Autism
Neurobehavioral/Developmental disorders, Autism- The “BIG Picture”
There are many underlying biochemical causes which may lead to what we call autism, or contribute to the symptoms experienced by autistic children.
Some of these include:
- Digestive disturbances, such as lack of digestive capacity, digestive inflammation, and digestive parasites.
- Food allergies and intolerances.
- Neurotransmitter activity, including excessive excitotoxic neurotransmitters such as glutamate.
- Stress hormones and adrenal function, including cortisol levels, which can affect sleep, anxiety and coping tolerance.
- Sleep hormones and neurotransmitters, affecting sleep initiation and maintenance.
- Methylation cycle deficiencies or defects.
- Essential fatty acid deficiencies.
- Candida overgrowth, which can be tested for.
- Chronic inflammation, including neurological (brain) inflammation.
- Pyrrole disorder, also called kryptopyrrole or pyroluria, can exacerbate anxiety, lack of calm and sleep issues.
- Heavy metal or toxin exposure.
- Genetic inability to detoxify heavy metals or other toxins.
- Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies.
- Chronic, undiagnosed infections, including viral infections and bacterial infections.
Treatment for ADD, ADHD, and Autism Spectrum Disorders
Dr.Hagmeyer and his staff at DrHagmeyer.com are committed to finding the BIOCHEMICAL CAUSES of your ADD, ADHD, or Autism Spectrum symptoms, and will work tirelessly to help you and your family achieve optimal health.
Read more about Autism, ADD/ADHD symptoms and treatments. or Schedule a Free 15 minute consult and learn how we can help your child. Click on the health questionnaire below.
Not Sure Where To Start? Need Some Direction?
We are here to help you! Take a few minutes to fill out my Health Questionnaire. Once I know your top health concerns, your goals and what kind of help you are looking for, I will send you back some of my initial recommendations. If you want to speak with me, I’ll send you a link for a 15 minute phone consult as well.