Yield 4-5 servings
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 parsnips
- 4 carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
For onion wedges:
- Slice onion in half from root to tip. Peel back the onion skin and discard. Trim hairy part of the roots off of the onion, leaving the root end intact.
- Hold the onion with the root end facing up and cut into 6 equal wedges, making sure to keep a small portion of the root end in each wedge (this will keep the wedges intact).
- Repeat with second onion half, you should have 12 wedges total.
For parsnips and carrots:
- Wash and peel parsnips and carrots.
- Next, cut each into thirds crosswise (for a medium parsnip or carrot, each piece should be about 3 inches long).
- Then, cut each of those pieces in half lengthwise so they look similar to large french fries.
For sweet potatoes:
- Wash and peel (optional) sweet potatoes.
- Cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise so you have four equal pieces.
- Cut each piece lengthwise into four sections. Lay each of those pieces flat and cut in half. You should end up with 32 pieces, similar in size to your parsnips and carrots.
Add onions, parsnips, carrots and sweet potato to a bowl.
Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper until everything is well coated.
Transfer to a roasting pan and spread out into a single layer.
Roast for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.