Turkey or Chicken Pozole Rojo with an Avocado Relish
Yield 4-6 people
Chipotle chili powder and smoked paprika are available at health food stores in the bulk spice section. If you don’t have them, substitute regular chili powder and bump it up to 3 teaspoons. This soups serves 4-6 people as a main dish, more if a starter dish.
Perfect Spice mix;
- 1.5 teaspoons of chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons of cracked black pepper
- .5 teaspoon of sea salt
Prepare the spice blend by mixing all the spices together in a small bowl. (Double it for a great spice mix to use on anything you please.)
- 1-2 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil
- 1.5 pounds of chopped raw chicken or turkey thighsOR 2-3 cups of cooked and shredded turkey or chicken meat
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2-6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4-5 fat carrots, sliced into 1/4 rounds
- 2-3 stocks of celery, chopped
- 1 32 oz container of low sodium organic chicken broth OR 1 quart of homemade chicken or turkey broth
- 1 28 oz can of organic low sodium crushed tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 4.5 can of mild diced green chilies
- 1 small can of organic tomato paste
- The juice of 1 to 2 limes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 diced and peeled avocado
- Grated lime zest of one lime and juice
- A pinch of salt
- Sauté the chicken or turkey meat in the oil over medium high heat.
- While it is cooking sprinkle half the spice mix over it and mix in.
- Cook for 8 – 10 minutes stirring continuously. (If using pre-cooked meat just barely heat it up then proceed)
- Add the onions and garlic, and sauté a bit more till fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the chopped carrots, celery and bell peppers and sprinkle the rest of the spice mix over the mix while doing the cha cha.
- Sauté a bit longer then, pour in the broth, tomatoes, green chilies and paste and mix them in well.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-35 minutes till the carrot are just starting to get tender and the house smells like goodness.
- Taste and add the honey and the lime juice, a little bit at a time till you have the right flavor.
- Add any salt and pepper it might need and serve with the avocado relish and radishes.
- When the soup is almost ready to serve, dice the avocado up and squeeze a little lime juice over it and sprinkle with the lime zest.
- Add the cilantro, green onions and cheese then mix gently till barely mixed.
- Serve on the soup.