Foods and Drinks To Avoid If You Suffer With Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms. Dr Richard Hagmeyer NeuroMetabolic Solutions
IBS is a disorder that affects the intestines, causing symptoms such as abdominal discomfort, bloating, diarrhea or constipation, or a sensation of incomplete bowel clearance.
Symptoms vary from one person to the next; some people experience only mild symptoms, while for others, it can disrupt everyday life including emotional well being.
While there are no clear cut rules when it comes to specific foods and IBS, because a variety of factors or mechanism are involved (stress, hormone imbalances, Toxicity, Vitamin deficiencies, Leaky gut, individual food sensitivities, gut environment, exposure to antibiotics etc ) there are certain foods that can wihout a doubt trigger symptoms.
Some IBS suffers find it extremely frustrating that eating a food that bothers them after one meal may not necessarily bother them the next time they eat that same particular food. This all adds to the confusion and frustration for many who suffer with IBS and other GI related issues.
A food intolerance test or food sensitivity test is one of the first places we start when we are working with patients who suffer with IBS. This test can help to identify any foods which may be a contributing force to you problems.
There are several tests which we offer through our Clinic which you can use yourself in the comfort of your own home. However certain foods are well known for their irritating effect on the digestive tract and are therefore best avoided.
Here are some suggestion to follow if you have IBS and you are searching for a Natural Cure for your IBS.
1. Avoid alcohol.It may not be easy to skip the drinks when everyone else is having a glass of wine or beer with dinner, but you’ll feel better if you do.
2. Avoid artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutessuch as Aspartame, Sucralose, Sorbitol and artificial fat such as olestra. Sorbitol is found in a surprising number of foods and over-the-counter-medications.
3. Avoid Gluten-Yes that means even “Gluten Free” foods. Many of these foods contain Tapioca, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Sorghum. If you have a gluten sensitivity you are also highly likely to have immune system activity with these foods as well. See my article here on Cross reactive foods you may be sensitive to.
4. Avoid coffee. I know—you can’t live without your coffee, but I bet once the caffeine withdrawals are over, your IBS symptoms will improve to some degree.
5. Avoid dairy.Even if you don’t think you are lactose intolerant. over 50% of people who have gluten sensitivity also have Casein (milk Protein) sensitivities. (We offer special testing in our office that takes the guess work out of what your sensitive to and what you’re not.
6. Read Food and Cosmetic labels. Before anything goes into your body, read the label. This includes over the counter medicines.
7. Avoid red meat.This is another tough one, but many people with IBS find their symptoms are triggered by their inability to digest red meat. (Red meat is not the problem as much as the enzymes that are needed to break down the proteins)
8. Avoid fried foods.This should be a no-brainer. Anything that says hydrogenated or contains vegetable oil should be avoided.
9. Avoid large meals. Eating smaller meals more frequently, or “grazing” throughout the day may help symptoms. Many people find that IBS symptoms are worse after a heavy meal.
10. Avoid foods That Cause Gas.This is your stomachs way of saying, “I don’t like what you just put into me” such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, onions, brussel sprouts, and garlic. These foods also can contribute to Thyroid problems.
11. Keep a food and symptom diaryto help keep track of the foods you eat and what your response was. This will be a tremendous help to a physician who takes a natural approach to IBS.
By following some of these guidelines, it is possible to alleviate some of the discomfort caused by Irritable Bowel Syndrome. If this seems overwhelming, and it can be, contact our office. We are here to help.
Remember before you ever have a disease, you had a lifestyle problem that has resulted in a set of symptoms, dysfunction and the disease.
If your Lifestyle is what got you sick… Only A Change to That Lifestyle is Going to Get You WELL.
To get well you have to go back and find the lifestyle problems, Correct it and give the Body the Time it needs to get well.
Only then can you help the condition.
You can Request my Free Guide “Natural Solutions that Work Without Medications”
Fill out your name and Email in the box to the RIGHT.
Dr. Hagmeyers Natural IBS Recovery Program is a Step by Step Recovery Process That Can Identify The Many Causes Associated With IBS.
1. A Food Sensitivity and Cross Reactive Food Panel — An IBS, Crohn’s or colitis patient may never get well without learning what foods are improperly crossing over from the inside of your gastrointestinal system into your bloodstream, creating an immune response that then builds chemistry that contributes to the inflammation. If you are accepted into our program, I will arrange for you to receive a test collection kit and blood drawn.
2. Re-establish Normal Bacterial Balance — Remember what antibiotics and other lifestyle influences did to your population of healthy bacteria? We Will Work on restoring and repopulating the good types of bacteria species.
3. Decrease gastrointestinal and Systemic Inflammation — You will take a nutritional beverage to feed the tissue that lines your gastrointestinal system to change the chemistry, eliminate inflammation and improve absorption.
4. Improve Digestion — You will take digestive enzymes to eliminate gas and bloating, indigestion, heartburn, pain, cramps and reflux.
5. Identify any hormonal imbalances that are contributors. Thyroid, Adrenals Male and Female Hormones
6. Identify Leaky Gut and its Causes- Leaky Gut is
7. Dietary Modification and Changes
Other Articles by Dr. Hagmeyer You Will Want To Read.
- Gluten Doctor. Testing For Gluten Sensitivity. Be Very Careful with Standard Testing Procedures
- Gluten and Autoimmune Diseases| The Longer You Eat Gluten The Sicker You Will Become
- Naperville IL| Natural Holistic Treatments For IBS | 10 keys for Defeating IBS. Enzymes Therapy
- 7 Things About Acid Reflux, Gluten and IBS You Don’t Know.