Hi Dr Hagmeyer here and today we want to talk a bit about Glutathione and the essential role it plays in the Autoimmune disease-(immune system), we are going to talk about how to increase your levels naturally from one of the most important foods you should be eating several times per week, I am going to spend some time explaining Glutathione recycling- which is a massively overlooked part of autoimmunity and chronic disease management and finally I am going to share my favorite supplements that are needed to help assist the recycling of Glutathione within your cells-
-This video is especially important if you suffer with any kind of autoimmune disorder, If you have inflammation or a Neurodegenerative diseases (MS, ALS, Parkinsons, Dementia, Depression) affecting the Brain and Nerve System-
I have done a video In the past about Glutathione (See Video Below), but if you are just joining us, Glutathione is the main antioxidant that protect our mitochondria.
You see………Mitochondria are the little factories inside each cell of our body, their job is to convert the nutrients we take in everyday and then converts those nutrients into energy or ATP. Think of ATP as the energy currency that every cell in our body can use and it keeps us alive.
Without Glutathione, these mitochondria are damaged from free radicals and that leaves you and me at risk for disease.
Glutathione is made up of 3 amino acids Cystein, Glutamic Acid and Glycine and it is made in the liver- So just think about that for a moment…. In order to make Glutathione there are 3 prerequisites
1. Healthy liver- are you taking lots of medications? Birth control pills, are your liver enzymes elevated? Do you drink alcohol? Are you exposed to smoke?
2. These 3 amino acids(Cysteine, Glycine and Glutamic Acid) which form the substrate from which glutathione is produced and #3
3. Healthy mitochondria- (These are the powerhouses within your cells) with people who have autoimmune disease, Mitochondrial are destroyed- when these mitochondrial are destroyed you just shut down the internal operations of making cellular energy within the millions of cells in your body.
The Two Main Forms of Glutathione
If you take a look at this picture- When we talk about Glutathione, there are two main forms-reduced glutathione (GSH) and oxidized glutathione (GSSG).
These two forms are constantly being turned into or “recycled” from one form into the other (with the enzymes Glutathione peroxidase and Glutathione reductase) and what so exciting about this, this is where nutritional support (diet and specific supplements like the ones we are going to talk about can be extremely helpful is in this recycling process and for battling chronic diseases.
Study after study shows that your body’s ability to constantly take oxidized Glutathione and recycle it back to reduced Glutathione is critical for managing autoimmunity.
These enzymes (Glutathione peroxidase and Glutathione reductase) come into consideration when we look at how to support the Glutathione system nutritionally.
So If you are suffering with chronic health problems where you have inflammation as in the case of Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Migraines, Diabetes,Thyroid disease, Depression, promoting Glutathione recycling in your body, I believe is something everybody should be doing.
By naturally supporting your recycling pathways you will be
1. Helps protect cell mitochondria,
2. Enhance tissue recovery,
3. Temper the imbalance between TH-1 and TH-2, (these are the immune system branches)
4. Boost immune regulation.
Whenever you are dealing with autoimmunity- your number one goal should be to identify the TRIGGERS behind why the immune system is doing what it’s doing and then dampen both the autoimmune reaction and damage it is causing to the body.
So How Can You Best Support Your Glutathione levels?
#1- Whats the BIG PICTURE- another words what’s causing the stress In your body? Hormones, food sensitivities, leaky gut, infection, Neurotransmitters, adrenal function, heavy metal, mold, etc
#2- Give your body the building blocks to make Glutathione- Bone Broth!- Bone broth is loaded with these amino acids that go onto to form Glutathione levels.
#3- Supplements to help to body convert oxidized Glutathione back into the reduced Glutathione state.
Here are 7 supplements that I often use in practice with patients I work with Who Need Glutathione Support.
1. #1 N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC): NAC is a key compound to glutathione activity. It is rapidly metabolized into intracellular glutathione.
2. Alpha-lipoic acid– ALA directly recycles and extends the metabolic life spans of vitamin C, glutathione, and coenzyme Q10, and it indirectly renews vitamin E, all of which are necessary for glutathione recycling.
3. L-glutamine: not only is L-glutamine critical to gut function- but without out you don’t have glutathione
4. Selenium: Selenium again activates the recycling system.
5. Cordyceps: Cordyceps has also been shown to protect cells by engaging the glutathione enzyme cycle.
6. Gotu kola (Centella Asiatica): Research shows it plays a role in not only recycling but also in increasing the quantity of glutathione an finally there is
7. Milk thistle (Silybum marianum): Milk thistle support the health of your liver and also has been shown to increase glutathione, increase superoxide dismutase (another powerful antioxidant) activity, and positively influence the ratios of reduced and oxidized glutathione.
In closing this video just a couple of take aways…
- Glutathione is constantly being transformed from Reduced Glutathione to Oxidized Glutathione. It’s the Reduced Glutathione that protects the cells.
- If you want to improve your immune system function- two things NOT Only is it important to increase QUANTITY of Glutathione, we also need to support the body with the Recycling of Glutathione (taking Oxidized Glutathione and recycling it back to Reduced Glutathione)- this is where many supplements can help push that process.
- Chronic stress (from hormone imbalances, blood sugar imbalances, inflammation, infection, adrenal dysfunction, poor diet, alcohol, lack of quality sleep, smoke, etc – depletes our bodies Glutathione levels. This is why you need to look at the entire health picture- its not just about taking these supplements that I listed. But really focusing in on rebuilding and repairing your body.
- Bone broth- loaded with these amino acids (Glycine, Glutamic acid and Cysteine)-which again are the building blocks to create Glutathione.
- Keeping overall Glutathione levels up by supporting Glutathione recycling helps buffer the body’s cells from the many stressors heaved at us each day.