People who come to the Naperville Institute For Neuro Metabolic Solutions and see Dr. Hagmeyer often wonder if natural treatment and natural approaches to Thyroid disease really work. Some patients remain skeptical, because they have been indoctrinated with the belief that medications cure our ailments. This is not true!. Optimal health is complex and requires an approach that supports the entire body. Our Current medical approach looks at only the ailing body part rather than orchestra and symphony going on inside our bodies.
Our bodies are innately equipped to reverse disease. Medications are needed at times, there is no question about that, but when taking medications continues to cause a deterioration in ones health, we must look for an integrative approach. Claudia’s testimonial is an example of how traditional medicine and functional medicine need to work and complement each other.
Claudia was diagnosed and suffered with the complications of Graves Disease for over 10 years. Through the comprehensive Thyroid program offered at The Naperville Institute For Neuro Metabolic Solutions the debilitating Fatigue, Migraines, IBS, Infertility, Irritability, Joint and muscle pain, Bloating and Depression has improved by over 80%. If you have been suffering, please don’t give up! We can help you get your life back. Call us today at 630-718-0555. Listen to Claudia’s Testimonial
Patients with hyperthyroidism usually undergo treatment including thyroid surgery or radioactive iodine. This treatment usually will cause hypothyroidism at some point in life. Without getting the correct cause of thyroid disease, hypothyroidism can lead to:
- Mental and physical sluggishness
- Weight gain
Antithyroid medications can also have serious side effects.
- Complications from surgery, including:
- Hoarseness from damage to the nerve leading to the voice box
- Low calcium levels from damage to the parathyroid glands (located near the thyroid gland)
- Scarring of the neck
- Eye problems (called Graves ophthalmopathy or exophthalmos)
- Heart-related complications, including:
- Rapid heart rate
- Congestive heart failure (especially in the elderly)
- Atrial fibrillation
- Thyroid crisis (thyrotoxic storm), a severe worsening of overactive thyroid gland symptoms
- Increased risk for osteoporosis, if hyperthyroidism is present for a long time
- Complications related to thyroid hormone replacement
- If too little hormone is given, fatigue, weight gain, high cholesterol, depression, physical sluggishness, and other symptoms of hypothyroidism can occur
- If too much hormone is given, symptoms of hyperthyroidism will return