Q: Is the Pill wrecking Your Gut and Causing Leaky Gut, IBS, SIBO, Crohns, and Gut dysbiosis?
Last week I did a video on Birth control pills and Gut inflammation, I talked about the link between oral contraceptives and Inflammatory bowel disease like Crohns and Ulcerative colitis, we talked about how oral contraceptives
1-Induce changes to the microbiome (this is called Gut dysbiosis)
2-Creates inflammatory environment and
these changes, alter the immune system, and polarize the immune system towards autoimmunity and in this particular case, towards Crohn’s and Ulcerative colitis disease.
Today, I want to share information on how the Pill in addition to causing Dysbiosis and Inflammation how it causes Intestinal permeability also known as a leaky gut.
Leaky gut is a condition where the lining of the small intestine becomes damaged and inflamed and rather than acting like a barrier that blocks certain things from entering the blood it becomes permeable.
When it becomes permeable-it allows entry of certain chemicals like undigested food particles, bacteria, bacterial toxins, Environmental chemicals, leak through this barrier and gain entry into the bloodstream where they don’t belong.
Once in the blood stream, the immune system recognizes these bacteria, toxins, hormones, food proteins, environmental chemicals and now we have an inflammatory immune response.
You probably have been hearing quite a bit about leaky gut. You see Leaky gut can result in food sensitivities, poor nutrient absorption, skin conditions like eczema or rosacea, asthma, or more serious concerns such as thyroid disease or IBD or some other autoimmune disease.
Many studies have looked into and have shown that oral contraceptives modify this barrier.
Here’s one study showing the link between oral contraceptives, Hormones taken during menopause and Leaky Gut
The good news is that we can test for leaky gut and there are things we can do to heal and repair this gut lining should you have this. That’s the good news…
“Your Leaky Gut Will Not Be fixed in 30 days! and When Your Symptoms Return They Will Be Worse!
The bad news is that unlike some of the programs on the internet promising to heal your gut in 30, 60 or in 90 days, depending on what is causing your leaky gut it could easily take 12 months or longer to heal.
So the key is if you know you have a leaky gut, then the next logical question is what causes the leaky gut and that’s where testing comes into play.
When I test for A leaky gut– I’m looking at several different Leaky Gut markers and while there are some companies that test this in the stool- From the research I have done- The best method of testing is done through blood.
Testing for Leaky Gut should Include These Blood Markers
There are three Main markers I am looking for If I determine testing is going to help me understand my patient case better. The Three markers are.
Each of these markers tell me something different and help me understand several important points when it comes to working with a patient.
I can’t begin to tell you how many people contact my office and tell me they have a leaky gut and when I ask them what kind of testing they have, they tell me they have never been tested. They have a leaky gut because they have X<Y<Z symptoms.
Unless you test for a leaky gut, you cant make that assumption you have a leaky gut based on your symptoms.
I tell you this because last week or maybe the week before, I had a person from Germany that called in and he proceeds to tell me he has a leaky gut- and again I asked about testing and not to my surprise…no testing- He listened to somebody podcast and based on the symptoms he was convinced he had a leaky gut.
Let me show you a few example of a Leaky Gut and why testing is so important-
Please keep in mind, that in each of these cases, leaky gut testing does not tell us that it was The Pill that caused these individuals leaky gut.
But, what I can say is that research continues to show that the Pill Causes A Leaky gut. You and your treating doctor will need to determine if the risks of taking birth control outweighs the benefits of not taking the pill.
Lets take a look at Leaky Gut Test example # 1
What you notice here is this person has
- elevated IgM antibodies against Occludin and Zonulin indicating a leaky gut and you will also notice that they have
- (+) antibodies to LPS IgM antibodies.
This is a person who most likely has had a leaky gut for some time and that one of the causes is from gut dysbiosis.
Lets take a look at another example of a Leaky Gut- Example #2
What you notice here is another example of a person- but in this instance- this person has antibodies against
- Actomyosin antibodies of 53.93, they have
- (+) IgG/IgA Occludin/Zonulin antibodies and they also have
- IgA, IgG, IgM antibodies against Lipopolysacchardies (LPS)
This is a really bad case. This persons is not going to correct their gut problems in some 30 or 90 day Leaky gut program. Will they have an improvement in symptoms possibly- but the gut will not be healed to the level it needs to be and the most likely the patient will discontinue their treatment because the symptoms have improved.
This person needs further investigation into what else is causing the leaky gut.
This person either knowingly or unknowingly has an autoimmune disease related to the gut, maybe it was caused in part by the birth control pill or set in motion by the The Pill or maybe it was caused by some other factors. We don’t know? But the point here is we can’t rule out the role The Pill has in setting the stage.
Points To Remember about Today’s Video
So in closing, as we wrap up today’s video, remember, the reason I showed you these tests and these studies was to help you further understand the real problems behind birth control pills that most doctors aren’t talking about.
- These are real problems that often don’t show up for years later.
- We have now talked about The pill and gut dysbiosis, we talked about The pill and Gut Inflammation, and today we added on to this by showing you How The Pill causes a leaky gut.
- If you are watching today’s video and you continue to struggle with GI problems, it is not enough to simply taking some probiotics and purchase some internet gut healing program.
- You need to be tested, then you need to receive proper treatment and support and finally, you need to be retested-
- My last piece of advice for you- If you or someone you love is struggling to find answers and you have hit a dead end with conventional medicine, or even your functional medicine doctor, maybe they are missing something, maybe the cause of your GI problems has never been fully discovered.
It might be time to start working with a Functional Medicine Doctor who has experience in these areas and can look at the BIGGER picture.
Like I said in my last video, and it is worth repeating here, It’s not uncommon for IBS sufferers to be dealing with multiple factors causing their symptoms-
It may be gut dysbiosis, It Might be leaky gut, It Might be Histamine intolerance, It Might be both a food allergy and a food intolerance,It Might be inflammation, It Might Be SIBO, It Might be a parasite, It might be a Gall bladder problem or some other problems that we will talk about in future videos.
If one of these problems is missed, ignored or not tested for- your treatment will most likely be a failure. Perhaps that’s whats happening? Again this is why you want to look at the BIG Picture.
So please DON’T Give up!
Don’t think that you are going to have to live the rest of your life with Bloating, Gas, Diarrhea and Constipation. There is always a cause! You and your doctor might just need to dig a bit deeper an unravel another layer of your GI problem.
So there you go, I hope you enjoyed today’s video on birth control pills and leaky gut-
In my next video, I will be talking about How The Pill can cause SIBO or Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth- so stay tuned and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
People Who Read This Article Also Recommend;
- 7 ways the Pill and Synthetic Hormones Cause Anxiety and Depression
- Nutritional Deficiencies Caused By The Pill and Synthetic Hormones
- Signs and Symptoms of A Toxic Liver
- How the Pill and Synthetic Hormones cause IBS and Gut Dysbiosis
- How the Pill and Synthetic Hormones can cause Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Crohn’s
- How the Pill Can Cause Leaky Gut and Why Testing is Important
- The Pill and Synthetic Hormones link to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and Yeast Overgrowth
- The Pill and Synthetic Hormones connection to Gallbladders Disease Gall stones and Surgery-
- The Pill and Thyroid Disease- Why The Pill causes Weight gain, Depression, Fatigue and more