Beef and Butternut Stew
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 pound roast or stew meat (I used sirloin tip) cut into 1½" cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece ginger, minced
- 2 cups bonebroth
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pears, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium-high heat and brown the meat on all sides. Remove from the pot, and turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the onion and cook for about five minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook for another couple of minutes, being careful to stir them gently so that they don't burn. Add the bone broth or stock and the browned meat to the pot, and bring to a simmer on low. Cover tightly and cook for 15 minutes, making sure to keep it at a simmer.
- Add the butternut squash, cinnamon, and sea salt and simmer covered another 15 minutes.
- Now add the pears and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the meat and squash are both tender.
- In a small skillet, heat the rest of the coconut oil on high heat and cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, or until browned and tender. When the stew is done, garnish with sautéed mushrooms and fresh thyme.
Recipe by Dr. Hagmeyer at https://www.drhagmeyer.com/beef-and-butternut-stew-dr-hagmeyer/