Dr. Hagmeyer explains How The Gut Healing Protocol his 4R works for Leaky Gut, Parasites, gut inflammation, Gut Dysbiosis, SIBO and many other functional GI disorders. Having a digestive system that works right is a key component to maintaining and restoring health. My 4 Step protocol (4R Gut Repair Protocol) for healing a leaky gut can often be the answer to prayers for people who suffer with SIBO, IBS, Diarrhea and a host of other chronic health problems.
The digestive system, also referred to as the gut, is responsible for much more than just processing the foods we take into our bodies. The majority of our immune system, and almost all of the chemicals our body uses to regulate mood, are located in our guts. Because of these connections between digestive health, immunity, and emotional well-being, problems in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract can go beyond the usual symptoms of pain, gas, bloating, and diarrhea.
They can actually be the main cause of various chronic health problems such as hormonal imbalances, eczema, rosacea, diabetes, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, and autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
“Help Dr…..I’ve Tried Everything! Nothing is working to Heal My Gut?” Keep Reading!!!!
In Functional Medicine we use an effective approach that we call the 4R program – Remove, Replace, Re-inoculate, and Repair. This approach can be extremely effective when dealing with disbiosis, gut infections, yeast overgrowth, and parasites. Here is how it works.
First, identify and remove the factors or triggers that may be contributing to your symptoms, including:
- Stress: Stress can impair your digestion and absorption—particularly if you eat too quickly, too much, or at varying times of day. There are tests that look at your bodies ability to adapt to stress. These tests evaluate cortisol levels.
- Food Intolerances/Food Sensitivities: Develop an elimination diet plan or better yet get tested for food sensitivities/intolerances. The diet involves removing potentially allergenic foods for a length of time (the length of the elimination phase will vary based on your individual needs and protocol), then reintroducing the foods, one at a time, every two days, while monitoring for symptoms. Potentially food sensitivities include processed foods, oranges, dairy, eggs, corn, grains with gluten, pork, shellfish, beef, veal, soy, peanuts, alcohol, coffee, soda, refined sugar, chocolate, and ketchup.
- Testing for food sensitivities can save you time and alleviate the stress of knowing which foods are problematic and which ones aren’t. Delayed food reactions as those seen with food intolerances can take up 72 hours or longer before causing symptoms. This is why while elimination diets may work for allergies, they don’t work as well for food intolerances. This is why we recommend testing.
- Pathogens: Bacterial and yeast overgrowth, viruses, fungi, parasites, and other toxic substances are common contributors to gut-related symptoms. A variety of tests are available identify and remove pathogens. Infections would most likely be from parasites, yeast or bacteria. A comprehensive stool analysis can offer incredible insight into the health of your gut microbiome and determining if an infection is present. Infections can be treated with either herbs, anti-parasite herbs, anti-fungal herbs.
- I often prescribe both herbal antibiotics and anti fungals such Caprylic acid, Artemisia, grapefruit seed extracts, black walnut hull.
- The Bioclear™ Cleansing Program with Biocidin Liquid contains a convenient one month supply of Biocidin® Liquid, G.I. Detox™+, and Proflora®4R together as a kit for broad-spectrum, nutritional support to cleanse, balance intestinal ecology, and support healthy digestion and elimination.*When working with health concerns such as SIBO or other digestive issues, inflammation, chronic infections, including Lyme and other complex challenges, practitioners often recommend the Comprehensive Cleansing ProgramTM.The program contains a 1-month supply designed to work in synergy to balance and repair the GI tract, as well as support systemic detoxification.As nutritional support, these formulas help to address biofilms and promote a healthy immune response in addition to the benefits of broad- spectrum anti-microbial botanicals. Combined with a healthy diet, this program is perfect for those wanting to feel and see lasting changes, such as better energy, decreased pain, and resolution of digestive complaints.
The Bioclear™ Cleansing Program is a 15% savings over the total cost of individual products.
- 1 Biocidin® 30 ml liquid,
- 1 Proflora®4R 30 caps, and
- 1 G.I. Detox™+ 60 caps
Biocidin® is a synergistic combination of botanical medicines, which targets the entire GI tract, and supports microbiome balance for healthy digestion and elimination. The botanicals also have systemic applications in microbial challenges wherever they occur. Independent laboratory testing has concluded that Biocidin® has broad reaching effects, including addressing biofilms.
ProFlora Spore Based Probiotic Replaces Beneficial Flora- Spore-forming probiotics are commensal bacteria found in our gastrointestinal tract, which occur naturally in healthy soil. Endospores are undamaged by antibiotic therapies and stomach acid, making them the perfect addition to Biocidin® protocols, and are often favored when addressing SIBO.
GI detox- Removes Debris, Mops Up Toxins, and Helps Restore Microbial Balance. A new upgraded binding formula to support enhanced clearance of endotoxins, metals and xenobiotic compounds. Removal of debris and toxins is essential when restoring microbial balance to the G.I. tract.
Replace with good. Just as important as eliminating trouble in the gut, we want to reintroduce the essential ingredients for proper digestion and absorption. These digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid and bile acids that are required for proper digestion. Often these enzymes have been depleted by diet, drugs (such as antacid medications), diseases or aging. (Read how antacid medications make you sick).
Work with your Functional Medicine physician to determine supplements that could support your healing, such as:
- Digestive enzymes including protease, lipase, amylase, and pepsin as well as Brush Border Enzymes. Brush border enzymes are super important when filling a low FODMAP diet because these enzymes are specifically designed to break down sugars. and carbohydrates.
- Hydrochloric acid-Betaine and Pepsin provides two essential components of healthy digestion: hydrochloric acid (HCl) and the digestive enzyme, pepsin. Hydrochloric acid is vital for the proper digestion of protein and the absorption of vitamins and minerals (especially vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc). HCl also plays an important role in signaling the pancreas to release digestive enzymes.
- Pepsin is one of the first enzymes to initiate protein digestion and works in synergy with HCl to provide complete protein digestive support. Betaine & Pepsin contains 1,040 mg betaine HCl USP and 208 mg pepsin per serving.
Third, for six to twelve weeks, reinoculate your gut with good bacteria to help regain a healthy microflora balance. Intestinal microflora are microorganisms that live in our gut and are helpful in aiding digestion and nutrient absorption. This can be accomplished with a variety of foods and supplements:
- Fermented foods: These foods include tea, pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, yogurt, kefir, and kombucha.
- Prebiotics:These are non-digestible plant components that nourish the body’s microflora. They include:
- Oligosaccharides and Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS): Types of carbohydrate found in some fruits and vegetables, including leeks, onions, asparagus, jicama, bananas, garlic, and Jerusalem artichokes; also available in supplement form
- Arabinogalactans: Arabinogalactans are a type of soluble fiber; small amounts can be found in carrots, radishes, pears, corn, wheat, and tomatoes, although if you’re looking for a meaningful amount, they are available in supplement form
- Soluble fiber: Fiber that easily dissolves in water; found in sources such as oatmeal, beans, apples, pears, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, psyllium, cucumbers, and celery
- This is one of my favorite probiotics to use with patients.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are live bacteria that aid the digestive process and keep our gut health and intestinal function strong. Probiotics are available as supplements; purchase a refrigerated brand with live, mixed flora such as lactobacillus and acidophilus. If you struggle with SIBO I recommend using this probiotic to start with Bisopora. Biospora contains two of the most well know and clinically researched soil based bacteria. namely Bacillus coagulans and B. subtilis species. You can learn more about soil based probiotics here
Fourth, repair the lining of your gut through good nutrition—this can take up to 12 months or longer in cases where harsh medications have been used.. In addition to an allergen-free, healthy diet, a variety of foods and supplements may help to reduce inflammation and support cell growth in your digestive tract:
The gut has the capability to repair itself when fueled with the proper nutrients. Other nutrients that are key components to gut repair include
- Zinc Carnosine
- omega-3 fish oils,
- Vitamin D
- L-Glutamine, NAG, Aloe, DGL. All of these can be found in Glutashield
Whatever problems you may be experiencing related to gut health, the 4R program should be one of the very first steps toward good health. I have personally seen chronic and inflammatory illnesses completely reversed very quickly by using the 4R method.
Looking For Personalized Recommendations Delivered Right To Your E-mail?
Fill our a short health questionnaire indicating your health concerns and goals for care and within 15-20 minutes you will receive an email
with several starting step recommendations.
My Diagnostic Questionnaire has been carefully designed to assess your health history, symptoms, Goals and provide a personalized recommendation to take back your health. This questionnaire ensures that our we match you with the service that is a good fit for your health strategy.
After we review the questionnaire, If we believe our services will benefit you, you can then schedule a free 15 minute phone consultation.
Whether it’s optimizing your diet, improving the health of your gut, overcoming autoimmune disease, or improving your mental clarity, you’ll quickly discover that our “Big Picture-Tailored to the individual approach” is best suited to help you heal the root cause of your health challenges, and look and feel your best for years to come.
Additional Videos That Viewers Recommended